Head To Bed At At The Same Time Daily
It is important that you stay on a good sleep schedule. This will help the brain and body get used to this routine.
The average adult should get 6-9 hours of sleep each night. Once you figure out the best time for you to wake up in the morning, it will be easy to figure out what time to go to bed nightly.
You should also focus on getting up at the same time every day. Even if you have a very bad night, you should not try to remedy this by sleeping late. It will only throw you off schedule and make it difficult to stick to any routines you have set.
Take Time To Wind Down
It is important for you to wind down before heading to bed. There are many great ways to relax, including:
- Taking a warm bath. This will help your body reach a temperature that is optimal for better sleep.
- Writing lists for the next day. This will keep you organized and give you a head start for the next day.
- Light yoga can help you relax your muscles and prepare for deep sleep. Avoid any vigorous exercise since this can have the opposite effect.
- Listen to relaxation CDs that were created with restfulness in mind.
- Read a book. Make sure it is not something overly stimulating since this has the potential to make it more difficult to clear your mind and sleep.
- Download an app from the NHS Apps Library that was created to assist with sleep.
- -Unplug all of your electronic devices about an hour before bedtime. The light emitted from the screens can make it hard to sleep.
If you need more advice, you can talk to your GP about this. You can also visit the sleepstation website for resources regarding sleep.
In the event that your insomnia is more than 4 weeks long, you should get in touch with a professional.
Create A Sleep Friendly Space
Your bedroom should be all about relaxation. Researchers say that bedrooms and sleep are closely linked in most people’s minds. There are many things that can change this, like TVs, electronic devices, noise, light and bad bedding.
Your room should be a sanctuary for sleep and intimate activities. Unlike other vigorous exercises, sex makes many people sleepy. Focus on making sure your bedroom is quiet, clean, dark and at a temperature between 18C and 24C. Invest in a new mattress like Saatva for a comfortable night’s sleep.
If light from outdoors proves to be bothersome, you can buy some heavy drapes. If noise is the obstacle stopping you from sleeping well, consider double glazed windows or opt for earplugs.
Keep A Sleep Diary
You should think about keeping a sleep diary. This can help you identify obstacles that prevent you from sleeping as well as you would like. If you see a doctor or sleep expert about your sleep, it is likely they will ask you to keep a diary in order to help them pinpoint the problem.
This can also help you determine whether any underlying conditions, like stress and medication, are having a negative impact on your sleep.